Royal IHC Merwede GOLD
It was very clear that IHC Merwede is continuing to invest in the health, safety and wellbeing of employees and that employee health, safety and wellbeing remains a corporate priority. It lead to the recognition of Royal IHC Merwede to iHMQ Gold Certificate This was evidenced in a number of ways including:
- That a higher priority is being given to safety and risk reduction. One of the ways in which this is happening involves the use of a new video on health and safety at IHC Merwede, which is seen by all visitors to the Company. The video is also used in the induction process where it is complemented by instruction from the inductees’ manager. Subcontractors receive badges for a certain period after successfully filling in the quiz as part of the video instruction.
- Every manager now carries out a monthly safety inspection of his/her department. This is an open, transparent and constructive opportunity to correct any areas of weaknesses and address any unacceptable practice or behaviours.
- Very significantly there is an increasing awareness across the company of the beneficial relationship that exists between a healthy and safe workplace, quality and customer satisfaction.
- Toolbox talks are influenced by risk assessment and risk analysis so that employees are fully briefed as quickly as possible.
A major development has been the recent formation of the IHC Vitality Team. This team offers considerable potential in terms of the promotion of employee health and wellness across the company. It is very positive to note that the team has:
- Clear short, mid and long-term goals.
- A plan to bring about these goals and that includes a short survey of staff that will help to identify priorities.
- A process that is based on the principles of employee engagement and communication and that includes evaluation – this is very good practice.
- A desire to see increased levels of awareness among staff of the importance of being healthy and of remaining healthy in the future, ‘Be Healthy Future’.
- Recognized the link between corporate image and having a healthy workforce. Namely that protecting and promoting the wellbeing of employees reflects positively on corporate image and that in turn retention and recruitment of staff is enhanced.